Diploma in Photoimaging
The Diploma of Photoimaging aims to enable students to:
- Demonstrate a skilled knowledge of photographic practice, theory and history.
- Display a specific proficiency and appreciation of photographic practice and problem management.
- Transfer and apply technical, creative or theoretical skills to a range of photographic situations.
- Appreciate photography from an artistic and commercial perspective as an assistant or professional practitioner.
- Apply advanced skills and conceptual development to their photographic practice.
- Take responsibility for the design and production of a broad range of photographic images.
This course is available to applicants who have completed the Certificate IV in Photoimaging (CUV40411) or who can demonstrate the relevant industry knowledge.
Students will then select 6 elective units from the following 14 choices depending upon the student’s desired learning outcome; Concepts 2, Concepts 3, Darkroom 2B*, Darkroom 3B*, Studio 2B*, Camera 4, Alternative Presentation, Portraiture 1B*, Portraiture 2, Advanced Lighting 1B*, Advanced Lighting 2, Digital Imaging 3, Internship or Photography for Exhibition (this equals 2 units).
* Students who have completed Concepts 1, or Digital Imaging for the Certificate IV in Photoimaging will need to do an extra elective per subject to get the requisite hours towards the Diploma of Photoimaging.
* Darkroom 2B, Darkroom 3B, Portraiture 1B and Advanced Lighting 1B are taught at the same time as their Certificate IV equivalents (suffixed with an “A”) however additional coursework and higher standards are required from students doing these units as Diploma electives.
The Diploma course has a minimum of 486 contact hours with a nominal duration of 615 to 715 hours depending upon elective subjects chosen.
The course is available on a part-time or full-time basis.
All applicants should budget at least 200% (i.e. 6 hours+) more personal time quoted to adequately complete their studies. Effectively this works out to be 70 – 105 nominal hours per subject. This is in order to complete the practical/research nature of the assignments set for each subject.
More detail about the course competencies for the Diploma in Photoimaging (CUV50411) can be found on the National Training Information Service website.
All courses have a base price of $625.00 per subject per term i.e. the Diploma will cost around $5625.00 for a total of approximately $11250 (including the cost of the Certificate IV).
Some subjects have an extra materials fee, usually $20-$40. Class prices are set at the beginning of the year and are listed on the current schedule. Note an early enrolment discount applies if paid by the Census Date, also listed on the schedule.
The Diploma does not incur GST as it is nationally accredited. Any unaccredited workshops incur 10% GST.
Applicants are advised to also budget between $80-$180 per subject for personal consumable items such as film and photographic paper.
Core Units (After Certificate Completion)
* Students who have completed Concepts 1, Introduction to Photoshop or Digital Imaging for the Certificate IV in Photoimaging will need to do an extra elective per subject to get the requisite hours towards the Diploma of Photoimaging.
Elective Units (6 Required for Diploma)
- Alternative presentation
- Camera 4
- Advanced Lighting 1B*
- Advanced Lighting 2
- Concepts 2
- Concepts 3
- Darkroom 2B*
- Darkroom 3B*
- Digital Imaging 3
- Photography for Exhibition (2 units)
- Portraiture 1B*
- Portraiture 2
- Studio 2B*
*Darkroom 2B, Portraiture 1B and Commercial 1B are taught at the same time as their Certificate IV equivalents (suffixed with an “A”) however additional coursework and higher standards are required from students doing these units as Diploma electives.